The Transformation of an olympic city
How was transformed Barcelona in an olympic city? Barcelona’ 92 were “The best Olympic Games in history”. Its marked the beginning of a transformation model, that would be later exported to other emerging cities. Willing to alter their spaces and the customs of their citizens for a new urban model, which nowadays is still perceived in its streets.
The urban planning was structured into the completion of 12 projects scattered across the city:
- Four were directly related to the Olympic infrastructure and led to a clear improvement of four of the city’s neighbourhoods.
The other projects were linked to the amelioration of transport.
- The opening up to the sea.
- Housing and services.
- Involved the ring-roads.
- The Illa Diagonal shopping centre.
- The Barcelona Museum of Contemporary Art (MACBA).
- The Glòries square.
- And Port Vell and Maremágnum.