Starting at €35/person, 3 hours… Discover the history of Barcelona through its architecture!
The intense conversation between Barcelona and the Mediterranean Sea has been always about how the quest for order is confronted by the obstinate reality of urban chaos, which is precisely what makes it all so interesting!
* A calm trip from the origins of Barcelona to today’s skyline at the beach!
* Listed as one of the world’s top five architecture tours by The Sydney Morning Herald.
* Walking tour led by practicing architects.
As a fortified city and a retreat for Roman legionaries, it was called Barcino. Later, when “Santa Maria!” was the oath on every soldier’s and sailor’s lips, medieval Barcelona was a city ruled by the shipowners and merchants of Mare Nostrum. Over the years, it has also explored its modernist, worker, industrial and Olympic facets, and even as a forum of cultures, but through it all, Barcelona has always been one with the sea, the Mediterranean.
We will walk along narrow streets, parks, beaches and breakwaters, where we’ll try to tell the story of the sea and how it seem to have left the city center while we have been overtaken by time.
In the meantime, we’ll visit the Roman defensive walls and the Temple of Augustus, Santa María del Mar church, Moll de la Fusta wharf by Manuel de Solà-Morales, Barceloneta Market by Josep Miàs, Casa de la Marina apartment building by Jose Antonio Coderch, Somorrostro beach in Barceloneta and, finally, the Barcelona skyline.
We will talk about defensive walls and extensions, ports and beaches, the cultured members of society, as well as some of the swine, and we’ll try to decide if Aristotle was right when he said that anyone living outside the city had to be either a god or a beast.
* With every BARCELONA & THE SEA booking you win a 10% discount voucher to be use in any other Walk!*
– Meeting Point at the letter “O” of the sculpture “BARCINO” by Joan Brossa in front of the Col·legi d’arquitectes de Catalunya and beside the Cathedral of Barcelona.
– We offer Regular Tours every Saturday starting at 10:30 am and finishing at 1:30 pm. Booking in advance is required to attend to these Walks.
– The walk is for a small group of travelers. However, if you prefer a 100% private tour, please book it through BOOK NOW.
– Maximum 20 people per Group tour.
– Kids under 12 can come along for free.
– The entire walk is wheelchair accessible.
– Languages: English (Spanish, French and Catalan are available in Private tour).
– Whatever happens, the walk will not be canceled, even if it’s raining or snowing! The weather in Barcelona is usually very nice, but we recommend you bring along suitable protective gear in case we have some inclement weather during the walk.